Archive for the ‘OCA Printmaking Work’ Category
I am coming to the end of my 4th assignment for the Open College of the Arts – I keep lingering thinking I can do more. I went to the Nancy Spero exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery and was really inspired with her hand made prints and her use of colour. She also prints onto different colours of fine Asian papers, lovely. This inspired me to do some printing when I got home. I had bought some Asian papers myself from Atlantis in Brick Lane – I bought them for the next lot of assignments coming up which uses Chine Colle – I made a print onto one of the sheets of tissue – Lokta Paper, it weighs about 30gsm and comes in beautiful vibrant colours.
One thing I was working on is a collagraph mask. I made one last year on a workshop I did in Italy – it was the firs thing I posted on this blog. I like the idea of masks, there is a lot to explore and we all wear masks in one form or another….
I drew an image from a book I bought in Paris about masks – this drawing is based on an Indonesian mask. I printed by hand and had a go printing with my press.
I have just completed printing the final colour of my experimental reduction linocut.
I also added a couple of drops of Cobalt Drier to the ink mix, this helps to speed up drying. With my previous reduction lino I had to wait at least 1 week before I could print another colour, with this stuff it is ready to over print in a day or so. I also think that adding extender helps with drying too….
This is how the lino looks now that it has all been cut away.
I do like using polymer blocks instead of real lino because it is washable and doesn’t crack either. I have found that if the lino cutter slips I can patch up the mistake with a bit of glue!
I got myself a drying rack so that I no longer have to leave prints all over the floor to dry – it is meant for young school kids but hey it does the job!
Thanks for stopping by
I have have printed another layer to my reduction lino print, this time using the dab printing technique. I wrapped fine cloth around cotton and used it to dab on some additional colour to create a bit of contour to the image. I mixed burnt sienna with extender (50 /50) and prussion blue with extender (50 /50). I am now cutting the block for the black outline.
I printed my third colour on the reduction print today. I started this edition printing the first colour using the un cut block, I wanted the background to be in light blue – I used Caligo Safewash Prussian Blue and mixed it with White – 50 /50. I then created marks on the block for the second colour. This is what I have done so far…
I then cut away the lino to create the outline shape of the folded animal form, then printed the 3rd colour.